Thursday, June 2, 2011

Why I am suddenly Crazy in Love with Beyonce... TNNA... and beginning Cassis!

     Flash back to a few years ago and you would find my youtube viewing history to be mostly filled with independent music artists, the occasional hilarious house pet ('cause who doesn't watch those), and of course, the vlogbrothers.
     Today a snapshot of what I've been obsessively viewing through the tubes looks quite a bit more like what they would play if they actually played music videos on music television. I have been sucked into this poppy, sugarcoated, product placement riddled glitterland. Totally. Sucked. In.

     Of course, this forces me to comment on the reason (or one of the reasons) why they don't play these videos on TV: They can't.

     You flip over to MTV in the middle of Kanye West's "All of the Lights" and you happen to be an epileptic? Ouch. 

      Your twelve year old watches Lady Gaga's "Alejandro" and... "Mommy, why does she... how do... what does that mean?"

     Getting to my point, I'm pretty sure I can blame my obsession with Top 40 music videos on the rise of Lady Gaga, but more to the point, she's got me watching other people now. The way youtube is set up, it's far too easy to click over to Rhianna, Bruno Mars, Katy Perry... but the artist I have been obsessively watching the most lately has to be Beyonce.
     I never really gave her any credit in my own mind before she started working with Gaga. I remember vaguely liking the "Irreplaceable" video, which they did play on TV with some frequency, but what I didn't realize that this girl is actually way more than some flashy bimbo who got famous on daddy's dime. Destiny's Child was a long, looong time ago. Today's Beyonce... well let's just say, "Bootylicious" is now in the dictionary.

Short(ish) list of what I like about Beyonce:
-As far as I can tell, she's an excellent role model. Career, personal life, philanthropy... etc.
-She has a way of paying homage to other artists that I think is really effective.
-She's teamed up with the first lady to fight childhood obesity. New song "Move your Body" has a routine to dance along to... and I can't resist it, except for the high knees part. Leave that out.
-She always works it. Here's a diva that doesn't just lie on the couch.
-Uhh duh: her thighs.
-She is a real artist: She doesn't write the "music", but she writes lyrics, melodies, and comes up with a lot of her own concepts. And I think it shows. Just watch "Run the World" and be delightfully confused.

    Here is where I'm not sure if Gaga influenced Beyonce, vice versa, or it was just that one made me aware of the other. But they both make me happy because they meld fashion and music together and throw in awesome dance moves to top it offThe girl just has a natural talent for dancing; and a bod that is built by it and for it. But she probably slaves in the gym more than she dances. Sold her soul to the eliptical in exchange for that waist to hip ratio.
   
     Despite the coolness of Beyonce, she does lack one thing: Knitwear in her fashion line. House of Dereon would rather wear fur, poofy and denim jackets, and tracksuits. I've seen a couple sweater dresses... but I was expecting at least one or two tunics, maybe a boyfriend sweater. Maybe something asymmetrical or off the shoulder? Guess Beyonce isn't into the oversized, cowl-necky, drapey type garments. Or maybe there's just not enough skin revealed by a sweater for hip hop's taste. Or maybe Kimora Lee Simmons just already has that market cornered... I actually really like her cabled keyhole turtleneck.

     Now, because I actually did intend to give an update of knitting progress in this entry... 
     

     All of the knitting on Vivan is done! Now we just have to wait for the zipper to come in the mail. We wait impatiently. It should be done next week! Jamie's graduation ceremony is a week an a half away... so I really should get it done before I go to TNNA.
     Oh yeah! I'm going to TNNA next week! Pretty psyched about that. I get to attend and help out at the tradeshow because I am now an apprentice for Helen Hamann. I'm glad to be telecommuting and doing social media stuff, and really glad to be working for a real, experienced designer. Honestly, this is probably a much better fit for me than the first internship I picked. I really thought I would be ready to move anywhere for anything close to a job related to yarn... but I really don't know if I could even last a summer away from my amazing boyfriend, spent in a place where no one seemed to want to get to know me or let me help, and it's too hot to really knit, let alone wear a sweater.

     Helen seems like she has the need for the type of help I can give, and is willing to impart her knowledge and educate wannabe entrepreneurs. Both in knitting technique and fashion design. Probably what I will learn the most from her about is having a sound business model and excellence in customer service. I can already tell she has both of those.
     I bought one of her designs, the Fan-Like Pullover, at Stitches this year and still have yet to make it. I was thinking of making it in bright red for a while. The sample I saw was hot pink. But the pictures on the pattern sheet have a sample that is made in a very neutral color, which makes sense to me because it's an design with lots of positive ease. Off white or tan, 100% Alpaca.
     So, in debating what to use my Ravelry Red Malabrigo Rios for, I decided I had to go for a sweater that I think will be more wearable in that color. When I do make the Fan-Like Pullover I probably will not make it for myself with as much ease as this model is wearing it with, but I still want it to be a more neutral color, because the piece itself is stunning for the design and the fiber. Wearing it often will probably be more practical in a neutral color.

And the winning pattern for the Red Rios? Cassis, which comes from one of my soon-to-be-favorite designers, Thea Coleman. Not only are her designs adorable, but her blog is hilarious. Favorite quote, discussing a new design out of Shelter: "You guys will see it in a few months. (because nobody wants 1,000 yards of tweed on their lap in July, right?"
     My swatch visited the back patio planter box in order to catch the last natural light of the evening. Looks like a happy, washed swatch... I only decided to go down one more needle size after I made it. Loosest knitter ever, that's me.
     Cassis is coming along really quickly, it's come quite a bit farther since I took the bottom photo. I'm almost ready to separate the sleeves. I really liking this top down construction; planning on trying it on later today!  
   

No comments: